mget-help - RE: [mget-help] FW: modeling approaches in MGET

Please Wait...

Subject: Marine Geospatial Ecology Tools (MGET) help

Text archives

From: "Jason Roberts" <>
To: "'Michael Heilen'" <>
Cc: <>
Subject: RE: [mget-help] FW: modeling approaches in MGET
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 10:59:03 -0400

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your interest in MGET.

We agree that Random Forest models are very useful and would be a good addition to MGET. Our intent was to implement Random Forest tools similar to the CART/GLM/GAM tools this spring but some urgent projects came along and delayed us. Now it is unlikely we will have support for Random Forests before August or September. Do you have an active project that needs Random Forests? If so, we might be able to coordinate our work with you, for the opportunity to use your data as a test case.

On a related note, we will be adding tools for linear mixed effects models in July. I’m not sure if those would be useful for your situation, but if so, let me know and we can coordinate on that.

By default, MGET treats all numeric variables as continuous. To treat a variable as categorical, you should convert it to a factor in your model formula. For example:

Presence ~ SST + ChlDensity + Depth + factor(SubstrateType)

In this formula, SubstrateType will be treated as a categorical variable. Factors in R are basically equivalent to ordinal or nominal variables in other modeling environments.

Best regards,

Jason