mget-help - RE: [mget-help] quiver plot ?

Please Wait...

Subject: Marine Geospatial Ecology Tools (MGET) help

Text archives

From: "Jason Roberts" <>
To: "'hajria daho'" <>
Cc: <>
Subject: RE: [mget-help] quiver plot ?
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 10:51:47 -0400

Hello Hajria,

The purpose of the tool you mention (Create Lines From Vector Component Rasters) is to create a grid of arrows, similar to the image below. This image shows wind velocities near Central America.

The tool is similar to the quiver(u,v) form of the MATLAB quiver function. As input, the tool accepts two 2D rasters (grids), one for the u components and one for the v components. The arrows all start at the center of the grid cells and extend horizontally according to the u raster and vertically according to the v raster.

The tool cannot reproduce the behavior of the quiver(x,y,u,v) form of the MATLAB function, in which arbitrary x,y starting locations may be given. If you need that, you may be able to replicate it by creating a point feature class with points located at x,y and attributes for u and v. I recall seeing a way to manipulate symbology of points in ArcMap from ArcGIS 10 to create arrows at a specified angle and direction. But I do not know where I saw this; you will have to search the internet for it.

I hope this helps,

Jason