mget-help - RE: [mget-help] MGET tool

Please Wait...

Subject: Marine Geospatial Ecology Tools (MGET) help

Text archives

RE: [mget-help] MGET tool

  • From: Jason Roberts <>
  • To: "Bakker, Anna Cassandra" <>
  • Cc: "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [mget-help] MGET tool
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 13:44:38 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=duke.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=duke.edu; dkim=pass header.d=duke.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=dplPfh5d1E6I/ganL7sU3QsbrqT2m6dwxbz4OUxRv1o=; b=PQTbWpV6icuN7JPqewSR3WEq3fEmMBXia/SrUH34IbAKmlMfcBqfBiKTRhvuJoQ/xUvx4VwsvLpSLCweqVAmIWPSWUrqh0XHBEmIZgdf+PlFhXUbe0voQkRKL1FQgjAu2wXibyfN7tSCQT3yIgYqkobQmJIMDMw3KMIOrgahAPupBevLGbYnRtHxr2Tih43yTGNdHyHqZknkZ+is0TDx1CpufhUVfF0A/ApNtup5CrCDiVKogFkCj3dTyH32cHrJn2Gl+E3POruRzWtAH5KpHc0z/sxeiaZ9ftQJgl1C8dvkVwCsD+nMwIH7KieGZzjJaHZV2EEeNPGgQxihOKCW1w==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=W+sHmG9LjEsQcn2thSS6Lhcopx48RvFxp+ZGJAS/RJxZSA3S1qtGbwJh9t4g23vFIsR0Z8uMNG3AXjr+4bD3nvJxIUS56zmxu2kThY8d266mWDeKRv7ud3ICYjudS0CWUo1TfbduC1Dy7B8U7HVTUiY4YT6Sz6AjQZKJAqEGEym/VI5JPeP3AbPJxnugxEjIiP4EO6RhKFVLsk53jEP4IMdBJs6jPc5/TCOqrlsQ9cH3eA+v9iAPTkNflloChb0TVhic40i+7XIn8HJosezOse0CSjEmf0iPhRdxoL+fI5asYuhEtVw5OxKY8dMWreCmiBM/feIzYNai4MU5fkYn3Q==

Dear Anna,

Thanks for your interest in MGET and sorry for my slow reply. I am on vacation until 26 August. I can offer more help starting that week.

That is a very unusual error. It comes from the MATLAB Component Runtime (MCR). I cannot look into it in detail right now but a simple thing you could try would be to stop all ArcGIS programs, uninstall the MCR, install it again, and try the MGET tool from ArcGIS again. However, if the tool works when loading currents data from 2011 but not later years, it would be odd to receive that error. There is nothing that I can recall that would prompt that kind of failure simply from loading additional data, or data from an additional year. But I can’t look at the code at the moment so I’m not sure.

It is possible for you to run this from a Python script outside of ArcGIS. Also, if you are comfortable with MATLAB, I can give you the MATLAB code for the core algorithm and you can work with your university folks to run it on your cluster. This approach would also get around the memory limitation of running it within 32-bit Python (MGET currently does not support 64-bit Python), which would allow simulations that covered larger areas, longer time periods, and higher spatial resolutions. However I urge caution in expanding those things, as it is easy to parameterize up a simulation that requires weeks of computation for questionable benefit. (We can talk about that more, later, if you decide to go there.)

Finally, it might be possible to leverage connectivity results from previous projects I’ve collaborated on. This would depend on your exact needs, particularly study areas and time periods.

Feel free to contact me again after 26 August if you’d like to discuss any of this more.

Best,

Jason