mget-help - RE: [mget-help] GeoEco problem

Please Wait...

Subject: Marine Geospatial Ecology Tools (MGET) help

Text archives

From: "Jason Roberts" <>
To: "'Weiss, Andrew D \(DFW\)'" <>
Cc: <>
Subject: RE: [mget-help] GeoEco problem
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 13:32:45 -0400

Andy,

Unfortunately it is likely that I will not be at the ESRI Ocean Summit Nov. 7-8. They really want me to come, but my wife is pregnant and the official due date is Oct 24. Unless the baby comes pretty early, allowing our family to get settled in for a few weeks, I’m not going to be available.

Pat Halpin will be going. Part of his presentation will likely reprise a presentation I gave to ESRI in February regarding the need for deep support for time and depth dimensions on geospatial data within all of ESRI’s core products. ESRI’s appears to be using this event as a major requirements-gathering exercise for the ocean community—they want to hear from us what they need to do in their products to better support our needs—so if you are able to make it and convey your opinions, they would appreciate it. Assuming they are getting serious about supporting our community, it could be an opportune time to influence their priorities, to the benefit of us all.

It is good news that you can replicate that problem every time! I will try it this afternoon and let you know what I find. Hopefully we can nail it and get a fix into MGET.

The question of “what to do about missing SST/chlorophyll/whatever data” is pretty complicated. In brief, the usual strategies include:

·         Use temporally-averaged data (e.g. 8-day or monthly) instead of daily data

o    This smooths out strong gradients, etc., so can be a problem depending on your objective

·         Try a different sensor

o    The problem here is that sensors are not perfectly correlated/calibrated with each other. For some discussion of that, go to here and check out the three articles in 2012 that have the phrase “analysis fields inter-comparisons” in their titles.

·         Use a product that tries to merge data from multiple sensors in an intelligent way

o    For SST, try the GHRSST L4 datasets. These are all cloud-free. This one and this one are global, 1 km resolution, although beware they can be highly smoothed and interpolated (you can’t create information out of nothing). MGET has tools to work directly with these, although the downloading can be slow due to necessary decompressing on the NASA server. (I know of a way to partially speed this up, but have not been able to implement yet.)

o    For chlorophyll, you could try this. No direct support in MGET yet, but you can download HDFs and convert them.

·         Use an ocean model that provides simulated output

o    MGET supports direct access to HYCOM and ROMS-CoSiNE, which both have 10 km resolution or so. Beware that they can differ substantially from reality at fine spatial scale.

Hope that helps,

Jason