mget-help - RE: [mget-help] Marine Geospatial Ecology Tool

Please Wait...

Subject: Marine Geospatial Ecology Tools (MGET) help

Text archives

From: "Jason Roberts" <>
To: "'Ecem Oner'" <>, <>
Cc: <>
Subject: RE: [mget-help] Marine Geospatial Ecology Tool
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 14:42:48 -0500

Dear Ecem,

I’m afraid that the tool I mentioned is not going to work with the OMI data you are interested in. The problem is that the data is in HDF5 format, and the tool I mentioned only works with HDF4 format (specifically, HDFEOS, which is a specialization of HDF4).

This page discusses some of the difficulties with accessing OMI level 2 data. You have probably already seen it.

I do not have any immediate suggestions on how you can accomplish this task without programming. I do not know of a tool that can convert level 2 data in HDF5 format to something usable within ArcGIS. Do you have some skills with Python? If so, you might be able to accomplish it.

I recently discussed a similar problem with someone who wanted to access VIIRS data in HDF5 format. I will forward that email to you privately. From that, you might be able to develop a workflow running GDAL utilities from the command line. I hope that helps.

At some point over the next year, I hope to add HDF5 support to MGET, as well as merge the level 2 tool I mentioned into MGET. But unfortunately this is not a high priority for me right now so I cannot promise anything for you in the short term.

Sorry I could not help more,

Jason