mget-help - Re: [mget-help] Salinity data download request

Please Wait...

Subject: Marine Geospatial Ecology Tools (MGET) help

Text archives

From: Andrew Gilbert <>
To: Jason Roberts <>, "" <>
Subject: Re: [mget-help] Salinity data download request
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 08:16:31 -0500
Thanks Jason. I think this should work. Actually I was trying to mimic what another modeler was using and thought it was data from the Aquarius program, but actually it looks like they might have been using similarly assimilated data from the Navy based on the NCOM modeling for US East coast, specifically http://ecowatch.ncddc.noaa.gov/useast/. We are modeling in the Mid-Atlantic so this is a higher res product. I think for now however, the HYCOM product, which I assume is very similar, but coarser and over a wider scale will work for us. I'm providing the covariates along with processed data to modelers so we'll see what they say about using something else. I might have to revert to downloading the data myself, but I thought I'd try to for low hanging fruit and user your tools which have thus far worked great.

By the way, when using HYCOM 4D and specifying salinity, the depth value does not seem to be optional, even though it is specified as such. I thing you are missing a default value for this. It bonked when I put nothing, giving me

"Running script HYCOMGLBa008Equatorial4DInterpolateAtArcGISPoints...
ValueError: salinity grid of the equatorial region of the HYCOM + NCODA Global 1/12 degree Analysis (GLBa0.08) has a z dimension but ArcGIS FeatureLayer "BRI_DOE_hidef_tran_MidPt_4km_Interv" of FeatureClass "Q:\GIS\Data\AerialSurveys_FGDB.gdb\BRI_DOE_hidef_tran_MidPt_4km_Interv" has Point geometry and a z-coordinate field was not specified. It must have Point25D geometry or you must specify a z-coordinate field or specify the value of the z coordinate.
Failed script HYCOMGLBa008Equatorial4DInterpolateAtArcGISPoints..."

If I entered 0 in depth value, it worked fine.

Thanks for your work on these tools again. It does save an enormous amount of time for end users. Having been on the brute force side of downloading everything and associating data with each point, I can speak from experience.

If you happen to add the NCOM product for the NE at some point, let me know.

Cheers, Andrew