mget-help - RE: [mget-help] installing MGET 0.8a64 error

Please Wait...

Subject: Marine Geospatial Ecology Tools (MGET) help

Text archives

RE: [mget-help] installing MGET 0.8a64 error

  • From: Jason Roberts <>
  • To: Stacy A Strickland <>, "" <>
  • Subject: RE: [mget-help] installing MGET 0.8a64 error
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 17:23:09 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
  • Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99

Hi Stacy,

Thanks for bringing up this error. The error you sent does not actually indicate that pywin32 is not installed. Pywin32 is installed, consistent with your screenshot of the site-packages directory. Instead the error says that MGET had a problem using pywin32 to complete one of MGET’s installation steps. This might mean that there is a problem with pywin32 itself.

Usually, when this error that “The MGET setup program was unable to register classes” occurs, MGET will work fine from ArcGIS. So you could try MGET from ArcGIS and see what happens. But in this particular case, I am not so sure it will work. Without going into details, I will say with some expertise that the underlying failure within pywin32, where the Python statement “import _win32sysloader” failed with that ImportError, looks pretty important and likely to reoccur whenever MGET tries to use pywin32 again, which it will do when you run it from ArcGIS. Can you give that a try and let me know what happens?

If it fails, it is possibly related to another problem I noticed: you are using a Python installation in C:\Python27. ArcGIS installs its own copy of Python to C:\Python27\ArcGISX.Y (where X.Y is the ArcGIS version number). When an installation exists in C:\Python it usually means the user or some other program installed a copy of Python after ArcGIS installed one. By default, Windows uses the most recent Python installation as the default one for running Python programs. This can cause a problem for ArcGIS unless you fix up the most-recent installation to have the required Python packages and other things that ArcGIS needs. If you are an expert Python user then you can fix it up and get it working. But if not, I do not recommend going down that road. The best solution is probably to remove that copy of Python and restore the computer to use the one that ArcGIS installed. I can help you do that, if desired.

(MGET users sometimes believe they have to install Python in order to use MGET. This is true if you are using MGET without ArcGIS. But if you have ArcGIS, you should just use the Python that ArcGIS installed. I’m sorry if the MGET installation instructions were unclear about this point. In any case, I can help you straighten it out without much trouble.)

Best,

Jason